Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- Yosemite National Park has struggled to design garbage cans, because they have to be easy enough for humans to open, but complex enough so bears can’t, and they’ve found there’s a, quote, “considerable overlap” between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.
- The snow in “The Wizard of Oz” was pure asbestos. The Wicked Witch’s broom and the Scarecrow’s costume were also made with asbestos.
- Refried beans are only fried once. The name comes from a mistranslation of the Spanish name, frijoles refritos, which means well-fried beans.
- A city called Dull in Scotland is sister cities with a city called Boring in Oregon.
- Neil Armstrong and the crew from Apollo 11 all had to fill out customs forms when they landed back on Earth.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Lasagna Day. Kind of a bit heavy for summer, no? (Full Story)
- Two people in Montana were arrested after stealing a plane, landing it on a highway, and abandoning it on the side of the road. Apparently, they made an emergency landing due to malfunctioning fuel tanks. (Full Story)
- A 28-year-old North Carolina woman broke into a house and stole medication, a power saw, coins, knives, socks, and jewelry. And she brought her seven-month-old son with her. (Full Story)
- McCormick has recalled three seasonings for possible salmonella: McCormick Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning, Culinary Italian Seasoning, and Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Ranch Seasoning. (Full Story)
- Authorities in Washington state say a man stole a school bus on Saturday . . . then on Sunday, he drove a front-end loader through his estranged wife’s home. He was wearing a yellow dress when he stole the bus. It’s unclear what his outfit was on Sunday. (Full Story)
- A woman in Germany carried a winning lottery ticket in her purse for WEEKS without realizing it. It was worth $39 million. (Full Story)
- New York City is paying people $100 to get vaccinated. (Full Story)
- The owner of a funeral home in Las Vegas wants you to know that face masks don’t work. It’s unclear if he’s just voicing his opinion . . . or trying to drum up some business. (Full Story)