Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- African grey parrots are the best species at learning human sounds . . . and they can have a repertoire of about 60 human words.
- The first player ever drafted in the NFL never played in a game, because of a contract holdout. Jay Berwanger was taken as the first pick in the first NFL Draft in 1936 by the Philadelphia Eagles, but they refused to pay him a $15,000 salary.
- The Sahara Desert is bigger than the entire continental U.S. The Sahara is about 3.6 million square miles . . . the continental U.S. is about three million.
- When Pluto was discovered, some of the potential names were Minerva, Zeus, Atlas, Persephone, and Kronos. “Pluto” was suggested by an 11-year-old girl in England.
- Thousand Island dressing is called “American Sauce” in Germany.
Strange and trending news:
- Less than a month after ithappened with a cat, the TSA has announced that a DOG was “accidentally” sent through an airport X-ray machine in Wisconsin. It sounds like the dog is okay . . . but come on, people. (Full Story)
- Walt Disney World recently Tweeted “1939 was a vibe. #Happy Place.” They deleted it after everyone pointed out that it was the beginning of World War Two. (Full Story)
- A poll asked, “When someone you dislike fails at something, how often do you feel happy?” 10% said always. 15% said “most of the time.” (Full Story)
- Cops in Oklahoma are looking for a guy who robbed a store with a FOOTBALL MASK on his head. Not a helmet. A full-head mask shaped like a football. (Full Story)
- A man in Florida was arrested after stealing over $1,300 in Walgreens toothbrushes. That’s six ELECTRIC toothbrushes. (Full Story)
- Remember the SnackWell’s DIET treats in the green boxes from the ’90s? The company just folded. (Full Story)
- According to a new study, Las Vegas is the MOST fun city in America. On the flip side, Pearl City, Hawaii ranked last. (Full Story)