Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– Portland, Oregon was named by a coin flip . . . the other name option was Boston. The two guys who founded the city were from Boston, Massachusetts and Portland, Maine. The guy from Maine won the toss and named the city Portland.
– The men’s clothing shop Bonobos was the first company that started as e-commerce only and eventually opened a physical store. The site launched in 2007 and they opened a store in 2012.
– The reason baseball and basketball teams wear dark jerseys for road games is because the away teams originally didn’t have access to washing machines, so they needed the darker jerseys to conceal dirt.
– The Oval Office has pressure sensors in the floor, so the Secret Service can monitor exactly where the president is when they’re not allowed inside.
– The “CR-V” in “Honda CR-V” stands for “Comfortable Runabout Vehicle.”
Strange and trending news:
– The most popular way to cook a steak in 2020 is well done on a grill, according to a new poll. Medium-well is a close second, and medium is third. (Full Story)
– Heinz just released some recipes for making homemade ice cream . . . based on their condiment flavors. So, if you want to make ice cream at home that tastes like ketchup, mayo, or barbecue sauce, now you can. (Full Story)
– According to a new study, doing a little bit of drinking every day is GOOD FOR YOU. The researchers found that people who have one or two drinks a day were 29% less likely to show signs of mental decline as they got older than people who never drink. (Full Story)
– Do you know all the words to the “Star-Spangled Banner”? 71% of Americans think they do. (Full Story)
– Did you ever run out of toilet paper over the past few months when people were hoarding it? According to a new survey, 14% of people say YES . . . at some point, their house did run out of toilet paper. (Full Story)
– A new study found the KINKIEST men’s and women’s names, based on how frequently people with those names bought deviant adult products. The kinkiest names for men are Charlie and Mike . . . and the kinkiest names for women are Jessica and Liz. (Full Story)
– A 22-year-old guy in Alaska broke into a fire station on Saturday . . . stole a fire truck by crashing it through the garage door . . . and drove straight to a bar. He was arrested and is facing a bunch of charges. (Full Story)