Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple, was so good at “Tetris” he used to dominate the top charts in “Nintendo Power” magazine. He even started submitting under fake names when they refused to print so many of his scores.
– The submarine was invented during the Civil War by an engineer for the Confederacy named Horace Hunley. And he died in 1863 when he was testing one and it SANK.
– The “defrost” setting on your microwave doesn’t use a different wattage or type of energy. It just alternates between 100% power and 0% power.
– Long Island, New York is legally considered a peninsula, not an island.
– The color mauve was discovered by accident. A chemist saw a purplish-magenta color when he was trying to make a medicine to treat malaria in 1856 and realized it would be a great dye.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey asked people how old they were when they hit different milestones in their formative years. Most people had their first kiss AND their first job between 14 and 17 and got drunk for the first time before they turned 18. And 4% of people were over the age of 20 the first time they drove a car. (Full Story)
– Do you take your glasses off before you have sex? According to a new survey, 61% of people pretty much always take them off . . . but 10% always leave them ON. (Full Story)
– There’s a new report out that says you should keep your thermostat at 78 degrees when you are home . . . and 82 at night. And people on Twitter are LOSING IT . . . as one person said, quote, “I see we’ve decided to give up on sleeping.” (Full Story)
– A new study found the top five things that affect how much the Tooth Fairy pays out are how much spare cash she has on hand . . . how old the child is . . . how much the child’s parents got when THEY were kids . . . how well behaved they’ve been . . . and how many total teeth they’ve lost. (Full Story)
– A new study found having kids makes you happier . . . eventually. The researchers found parents are happier than non-parents . . . but the happiness only kicks in once the kids grow up and move out. (Full Story)
– The jewelry company Tiffany just announced they’re launching their first full line of jewelry for men. And they’ll also be selling other products for men like a silver compass, beer mugs, and dog tags. (Full Story)
Men deserve Tiffany's too https://t.co/R4KHp9JTTW
— Metro Lifestyle (@MetroUK_Life) August 18, 2019
– A University of Tennessee football fan is getting dragged online right now for posting a Craigslist ad looking for a woman to go to games with him. His requirements are that she’ll stay sober at tailgates and cook food for them . . . be willing to tailgate all day and stay for the full game . . . AND pay for her own tickets. (Full Story)
– A professor at a college in Canada was fired recently, after he told a student he’d give her better grades if she had sex with him . . . or gave him moose meat. She actually gave him the moose meat, but then when he kept pushing for sex, she filed a complaint and he was fired. (Full Story)
– A driver in Indiana threw his baby’s DIRTY DIAPER out of his window on the interstate on Sunday . . . and it hit a COP CAR. The guy got a ticket for littering. (Full Story)
Littering is always bad….
Littering by throwing a used diaper out of the car window right in front of a police officer is asking for a ticket…
— Sgt. Stephen Wheeles (@ISPVersailles) August 19, 2019
– A guy in Michigan had a stroke and couldn’t talk while he was on the phone with a Comcast service rep last Tuesday. But luckily, she realized what was happening, called for help, and may have saved his life. (Full Story)