Holcomb wants ‘case by case’ approach to unemployment repayments

UPDATE (July 28, 2021):

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (ADAMS) – Indiana’s governor says the state has to be mindful of the massive unemployment fraud seen in other states.

On Tuesday, Governor Eric Holcomb said the state will continue to deal with unemployment repayments on a case-by-case basis. Holcomb says he understands that thousands of people in the state are unhappy about being told to repay perhaps thousands of dollars each for unemployment benefits they never should have received.

But the governor defended the process, saying people can fill out a waiver and make the case that a simple mistake put them on the repayment list. Some folks who were over-paid through unemployment say the state isn’t listening to them.

Read more here

ORIGINAL STORY:

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (ADAMS) – Indiana is one of the most aggressive states in the Midwest when it comes to recovering unemployment overpayments.

Records from the Department of Labor show the state has collected $26 million dollars in overpayments so far.

The same reports show that Indiana paid out over $100 million to people on unemployment.

Thousands of people across the state are now getting letters telling them they have to repay some of that money, in some cases, it’s thousands of dollars. The Department of Labor says only about five percent of Indiana’s payments were lost to fraudsters.

Read more here