Subject dead in standoff close to Coliseum and Goshen

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – It appears a man who holed-up in his apartment Tuesday night took his own life.
Fort Wayne Police tried to talk the man out of his home for hours last night on the 2200 block of Point West Dr., close to Coliseum Blvd. and Goshen.

They say the man was threatening to shoot anyone who came into his apartment. After hours of trying to talk, police say they heard gunshots, and fired tear gas to try and get the man to stop firing. When the SWAT team finally went in, officers say they found the man dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Fort Wayne Police officials released the following:

“On December 29, 2020, at 7:54pm, officers with the Fort Wayne Police Department responded to an apartment in the 2200 block of Point West Dr on reports that an adult male was inside an apartment and was armed with a gun, threatening to shoot people. Officers arrived and attempted to make contact with the male, who told the officers he was armed with a shotgun and was going to shoot them.

Because of the inherent danger and threats involved in this situation, officers requested the Emergency Services Team and Crisis Response Team.

Negotiators began trying to make phone contact with the male, who refused to cooperate and exit the apartment. Officers attempted to evacuate surrounding apartments and could hear the male continue to shout threats of violence at them while doing so.

Officers continued trying to negotiate with the male, and at 9:48pm, the male began indiscriminately firing shots inside his apartment. Officers deployed tear gas into the apartment in a desperate attempt to get the male to stop shooting, however, they were still hearing gunshots being fired.

Because of the imminent threat to public safety posed by the male firing the gun in his apartment and someone in a surrounding apartment possibly getting struck, officers made entry into the male’s apartment, at which time they found him deceased from a self-inflicted gunshot.

Investigators will be trying to piece together what happened and what caused this male to exhibit this behavior. Evacuated residents were allowed to return to their apartments.

There were no other injuries reported.”