Two children, one adult hurt in Red Haw house fire

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – Fort Wayne Fire Department officials say that three people, including two children, were hurt in a fire on Tuesday morning.

Crews were called just before 11 a.m. to the 6900 block of Red Haw Drive on the north side of the city.

Firefighters also worked to free two of three large dogs that were in the house. The third dog made it out safely.

Right now, it appears the fire began in the kitchen. The official cause is listed as accidental.

FWFD officials released the following:

FWFD was dispatched on a reported structure fire called in by neighbor. Additionally a young child that had escaped the fire ran down to nearby fire station alerting them of fire. There was a report of a person possibly trapped in the basement. FWFD units arrived quickly seeing smoke from small single story residential structure and declared a working fire. Engine 13 Crew found female occupant with head sticking out of a basement window and pulled her to safety. 2 children had escaped on their own. Per occupant all were accounted for however there were 3 large dogs possibly inside. Crews entered searching entire structure finding 2 dogs in basement and removing out the basement window unharmed. The other dog was found to have gotten out by itself. FWPD also assisted in securing the dogs. Crews rapidly extinguished a fire in the kitchen area. TRAA medics on scene treated and transported the 3 occupants 2 children and 1 adult with minor injuries to the hospital. Upon investigation the fire was found to be accidental from improperly disposed of hot material in a trash can in the kitchen. FWFD was assisted by FWPD, AEP,NIPSCO, TRAA, Animal control and Neighborhood Code.