Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– There are now about 1.71 billion websites . . . but only about 200 million are actually active. The rest are mainly parked domains.
– 90% of the people in the world live in the Northern Hemisphere.
– Emil Jannings won Best Actor at the first Oscars in 1929 . . . but he actually came in second in the voting to Rin Tin Tin. Yeah . . . the dog. The Academy wanted to make sure people took them seriously, so they gave Jannings the Oscar.
– The average height in the NBA has gone up about four inches since the league started in the late ’40s. It started at 6-foot-3, and now it’s 6-foot-7.
– “Sushi” means “sour rice” in Japanese . . . because the Japanese believed the most important ingredient is the rice, not the fish.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey asked people to only choose the ONE thing they’re most thankful for. Family came in first, at 58% . . . health was second, at 22% . . . and friends were third, at 6%. (Full Story)
– The world’s most expensive Thanksgiving dinner is served at a restaurant in New York . . . and costs $181,000 for up to 12 people. It includes, basically, the fanciest imported version of every Thanksgiving food possible . . . plus a cruise and Super Bowl tickets. (Full Story)
– Between Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving, work parties, and more . . . how many Thanksgiving dinners will you eat this year? According to a new survey, 50% of people will have one . . . 16% will have two . . . 7% will have three . . . 3% will have four . . . 1% will have five . . . and 2% will have six or more. (Full Story)
– What’s the best time to eat Thanksgiving dinner? According to a new survey, only 22% of people wait until after 5:00 P.M. . . . everyone else wants to start earlier. (Full Story)
– There’s a new term called “wegifting,” and 74% of us have done it. It’s when you give someone a gift that YOU fully plan on using too. (Full Story)
– A new survey found the top things we feel like we just don’t have time for are exercising, reading, spending time outdoors, spending quality time with family, and sorting through our old junk. (Full Story)
– A new survey tried to pin down the “average” nudist. They’re mostly over 45 . . . have college degrees . . . live in the suburbs or rural areas . . . and have traditional jobs. (Full Story)
– When Uber gets to a city, drinking rates go up, according to a new study. And those cities also see a big boom in hiring . . . for bartenders. (Full Story)
– Two women in New Jersey got into a fight at a grocery store last week . . . when one had too many items in the express lane, and the other called her out on it. They were both arrested for disorderly conduct. (Full Story)
– A guy in New Jersey found a hidden camera in his work bathroom earlier this year. His boss grabbed it to take it to the cops . . . but “accidentally” smashed the camera on the way and threw it off an overpass. The boss was fired, and the guy is now suing because he says the company is trying to dig up dirt on him to punish him. (Full Story)
– Someone in New York served a full Thanksgiving dinner to random strangers on the subway, and now videos of it are going viral. (Full Story)