Firefighter injured in blaze at St. Joe Center Dollar General

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – Fort Wayne Fire Department officials say that a fire damaged a local Dollar General store in Thursday.

Fort Wayne Fire crews were called around 12:45 p.m. to the store in the Riviera Plaza at 3201 St Joe Center Road. Everyone was able to get out of the store by the time crews arrived.

They say that ultimately the store suffered heavy water and smoke damage but that the store’s sprinkler system helped in putting out the flames. No employees or guests were hurt however, one firefighter had to be taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

FWFD officials released the following:

Fort Wayne Firefighters responded to a reported fire in the center of Dollar General at 3201 St. Joe Center Road early this afternoon. The first fire unit to arrive reported smoke coming from the interior of the building. Firefighters entered the building to extinguish the fire and search for any people that may have been trapped.

The fire was brought under control in minutes due to the working sprinkler system. The sprinkler system kept the fire small and contained to the area of origin, making firefighters job much easier.

Firefighters completed a search of the building and found no one trapped inside. All employees and guests of the store were able to self evacuate with no injuries reported. One firefighter suffered minor injuries and was taken to a local hospital for evaluation.

The Fire Department was assisted by FWPD, TRAA, NCE, Allen County Board of Health, Fort Wayne Building Department, City Utilities, NIPSCO and AEP.