Man in custody following southeast side standoff

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – Fort Wayne Police say one person is in custody after a standoff early Sunday morning on the city’s southeast side.

Officers were called to the 4300 block of Joshua Lane just after 2:30 a.m. when a woman reported a domestic dispute with her boyfriend. She said he had made threats to shoot her and hit her before she was able to run from the apartment to a nearby gas station.

Police say the suspect, Rushawn King, was still in the apartment and refused to come out. Police also learned that he has a warrant out for his arrest.

After hours and a warrant, police, and officers with the Emergency Services Team (EST), Crisis Response Team (CRT), and Aerial Services Unit (ASU) were able to make entry and detain King just after 7 a.m.

Police say it is an ongoing investigation and did not release what new charges King could face.

The FWPD released the following:

November 20, 2022 at approximately 2:36 AM dispatched received a call from an adult female. She stated there was a domestic dispute between her and her boyfriend. About 30 minutes ago her boyfriend made threats to shoot her. He then went outside the residence and shot his gun. The female also stated her boyfriend then came inside and hit her. According to the victim the male suspect had been drinking. The female fled to a nearby gas station, where she was calling police from. The incident occurred at the apartment complex at the 4300 block of Joshua Lane. The male suspect was identified as Rushawn King.

Police were dispatched to the scene. While enroute to the scene it was learned the suspect had an outstanding warrant. When police arrived on scene, they attempted to call the suspect via his cell phone and a loudspeaker system, but he didn’t respond. At approximately 3:55 AM, it was determined to page out the Emergency Services Team (EST), Crisis Response Team (CRT), and Aerial Services Unit (ASU).

While the specialty teams were arriving on scene officers were evacuating nearby neighbors in the apartment complex for their safety. CRT attempted to make contact with the suspect but was unsuccessful. A warrant was obtained to make entry to the home. EST proceeded to deploy measures to place the suspect in custody. At approximately 7:11 AM the suspect exited the apartment from the front door, and he was placed into custody.

No injuries to members of the police department or to the male suspect were incurred during this time.

The investigation is being held by the Fort Wayne Police Department and the Allen County Prosecutors Office.